My Home Inspector Blog: Electrical Issues Found at Temecula Home Inspection

Electrical Issues Found at Temecula Home Inspection

Electrical Issues Found at Temecula Home Inspection


 

Electrical issues are probably the most common type of defect found during home inspections here in southern California, followed closely by moisture intrusion issues. Improper electrical installations can pose a serious fire or shock hazard to the homeowner. Numerous electrical issues are often found when conducting a Temecula home inspection.

 

 

 

 

Some of the most prevalent electrical defects I come across are double-tapped wires in electrical panels, loose terminals in electrical panels resulting in melted/overheated wires, improper configuration of the neutral and ground wires in sub-panels, and lack of GFCI-protected (Ground Fault Circuit Interruptors) circuits at wet locations.

 

 

Double-tapping is when two or more wires are connected to a circuit breaker meant to hold just one wire. The breaker lug may not equally tighten on both wires. Arcing and overheating can occur when this is the case and can result in a fire. Double-taps or double-lugging of the neutral wires (white wires) is also commonly seen. (The neutral wires also carry current.)

 

 

 

 

 

In a sub-panel installation, the neutral wires and the ground wires must be isolated from each other. The neutral wires should be floating or connected to the insulated terminal (insulated from contact with the metal panel box). The ground wires (bare wires) should be connected to the terminal that is in contact with the metal panel box. More times than not, these wires are seen installed on the same terminal in sub-panels. This is an improper installation seen quite often at a Temecula home inspection. Electrical current now has the ability to travel through the ground wires creating a shock hazard.

 

Most people are now aware of GFCI electrical outlets. These receptacles are inexpensive, easy to install, and they prevent shock hazards at wet locations. In a modern home, the circuits in the kitchen, bathrooms, garage, laundry, and exterior will usually have GFCI protection. Older homes should have the receptacles at these locations upgraded to GFCI to meet current industry standards and for the safety of the occupants.

 

 

 

The most important information when reading a home inspection report will be the health and safety-related issues. Read these comments very carefully. In some cases they will save a life, perhaps your own! Steve Stenros- First Choice Inspections, a Temecula home inspector, is a CREIA-certified inspector holding the MCI designation. First Choice Inspections provides a FREE lifetime appliance RecallChek with every standard home inspection. Steve is available for appointment by calling 888-335-3040.

 

 


             Steve Stenros, MCI         Biz card photo

             Master CREIA Inspector #0115

             ICC Residential Combination Inspector #5251439

             Certified Infrared Thermographer #7791

                                       FHA/HUD Inspector- #V975

                                       203k Consultant #S0611

                                     888-335-3040

 

My Recent Home Inspector Blogs:


If You Have These Smoke Alarms, Get Rid Of Them!

The Three Most Common Write-Ups At A Home Inspection

May I Get You Some Carbon Monoxide?

La Jolla Home Inspector Offers Tips On Buying A Foreclosure

Home Inspection Tech Tips: How To Clean Your Rain Gutters

Vacant Homes: Turning Utilities On- San Diego Home Inspector

Sharp-Tipped Screws Are A Hazard To A Home Inspector!

San Diego Home Inspector Goes North

Have You Checked Your Egress Windows?- Encinitas Home Inspector

The New Carbon Monoxide Detector Law In California

"Four Tips For Garage Door Safety"- Encinitas Home Inspector

My Home Inspector Said Aluminum Wiring Will Catch My House On Fire!

Does Your Weep Screed Weep?- Temecula Home Inspector

Deck Repair Gone Awry!- Del Mar Home Inspection

A Home Inspector's ActiveRain Success Story

Comment balloon 3 commentsSteve Stenros • May 08 2011 10:30AM

Comments

Excellent demonstration. There are lots of electrical issues out there.  Good thing those buyers hired you.

Posted by Steve Hall, Make the Call to Hankins and Hall (RE/MAX United) over 7 years ago

And as you know, Steve, this panel looked a lot better than a lot of them do!

Posted by Steve Stenros, CREIA MCI, ICC, ACI Home Inspector,San Diego (Poway,La Jolla,Del Mar,Mira Mesa,Carlsbad,Escondido,Temecula) over 7 years ago

Good Evening Steve, electrical issues in a home are the most dangerous issues.  A great post to educate home owners!

Posted by Dan Edward Phillips, Realtor and Broker/Owner (Dan Edward Phillips) over 7 years ago

Participate