Asbestos in your home- Escondido home inspection
If your home was built prior to 1978, you need to ask yourself, "Is there asbestos in your home?" Asbestos is a mineral fiber that was commonly used in a variety of building construction materials for insulation and as a fire-retardant. After the health dangers of asbestos became known, it was generally no longer used after 1978, although it could still be found in some products. Asbestos in your home, in a "friable" state, can present a serious health hazard if the microscopic fibers are ingested into the body. Asbestos becomes "friable" when the material has been damaged or disturbed and the fibers become airborne. When airborne, asbestos is easily ingested into the lungs. Lung cancer, mesothelioma, and asbestosis are commonly associated with asbestos exposure.
My home inspection company, First Choice Inspections, located near San Diego, was recently hired to conduct an inspection on a 1965-built home in Escondido, CA. An investor had purchased the home, re-habbed it, and placed it back on the market. I was hired to conduct the home inspection for the new buyer. The interior of the home was nicely refurbished with granite countertops, new cabinets, new tile and carpeting on the floors, dual-pane replacement windows, and new paint throughout. There was also a new roof installed, and fresh paint on the exterior of the home.
A large portion of the homes currently being sold in our southern California real estate market are vacant "flipped" homes that are bank or investor owned. It is quite common to see the re-hab company overlook the attic areas in these homes. In this "Inspection Minute" video, you will see that the attic area in this home contained asbestos HVAC ducting. Upon closer inspection, numerous damaged or torn areas were noted in the ducts. When the heating/cooling system is operated, the air flow through the ducts can create a vacuum at any locations where there is leakage. The asbestos fibers can be drawn into the ducts, distributed throughout the home, and ingested by the occupants.
The last thing you want to experience when you move into your new beautifully-refurbished place, is to discover there is asbestos in your home. Your home is your refuge, and you should feel safe in your own castle. Be sure to consult a professional, experienced home inspector before you purchase. First Choice Inspections is owned and operated by Steve Stenros, a full-time CREIA-certified inspector holding the MCI (Master CREIA) designation. Steve can be reached for appointments seven days a week at 888-335-3040. As a First Choice Inspections client, you can request to be placed on our email list and receive our bi-weekly "Tech Tips"; simple do-it-yourself tips to make your home more functional and efficient.
Steve Stenros, MCI
Master CREIA Inspector #0115
ICC Residential Combination Inspector #5251439
Certified Infrared Thermographer #7791
FHA/HUD Inspector- #V975
203k Consultant #S0611
My Recent Home Inspector Blogs: