My Home Inspector Blog: I was shocked when I saw this!!

I was shocked when I saw this!!

Here's a photo of something I came across at today's home inspection in San Diego- a deck-mounted electrical box for the pool light. 

   

You may have one of these installed in your pool deck if it is an older pool.  If so, call an electrician.  These things are real shock hazards!  As you can see by the photo, the junction box is full of water.  Electricity and water don't mix!

                                               

 

 


             Steve Stenros, MCI         Biz card photo

             Master CREIA Inspector #0115

             ICC Residential Combination Inspector #5251439

             Certified Infrared Thermographer #7791

                                       FHA/HUD Inspector- #V975

                                       203k Consultant #S0611

                                     888-335-3040

 

My Recent Home Inspector Blogs:


If You Have These Smoke Alarms, Get Rid Of Them!

The Three Most Common Write-Ups At A Home Inspection

May I Get You Some Carbon Monoxide?

La Jolla Home Inspector Offers Tips On Buying A Foreclosure

Home Inspection Tech Tips: How To Clean Your Rain Gutters

Vacant Homes: Turning Utilities On- San Diego Home Inspector

Sharp-Tipped Screws Are A Hazard To A Home Inspector!

San Diego Home Inspector Goes North

Have You Checked Your Egress Windows?- Encinitas Home Inspector

The New Carbon Monoxide Detector Law In California

"Four Tips For Garage Door Safety"- Encinitas Home Inspector

My Home Inspector Said Aluminum Wiring Will Catch My House On Fire!

Does Your Weep Screed Weep?- Temecula Home Inspector

Deck Repair Gone Awry!- Del Mar Home Inspection

A Home Inspector's ActiveRain Success Story

Comment balloon 16 commentsSteve Stenros • February 27 2011 12:11AM

Comments

Wow, that's a bit shocking. One could even say VERY shocking, forgive the pun. I can't believe that was ever up to code.

Posted by Jon Quist, Tucson's BUYERS ONLY Realtor since 1996 (REALTY EXECUTIVES TUCSON ELITE) almost 7 years ago

Dear Steve -

Danger from electricity lurks everywhere!  Not as bad as at the pool but ...

Due diligence contract inspection today found hot wires in the attic outside any box and not even taped!

Double taps in the electrical panel (my personal pet peeve for the danger it poses on an improperly marked panel) on more than one breaker!

GFI receptacles not functioning.

Fortunately, the house was sound and sturdy.  AND ... the Buyers' best friend is an electrician. All's well. Purchase continues!

Have a happy day!
Lynn

Posted by Lynn B. Friedman, Concierge Service for Our Atlanta Sellers & Buyers (Atlanta Homes ODAT Realty Call/Text 404-939-2727 Buckhead - Midtown - Westside -- and more ...) almost 7 years ago

Good catch. You may have saved a life. Your client - and the agents - should thank you.

Posted by Bruce Breedlove (Avalon Inspection Services) almost 7 years ago

Holy smokes! How can it be that it wasn't shorted out long ago?

Posted by J. A. Michail, Real Property Management of Sarasota & M (Real Property Management of Sarasota & Manatee) almost 7 years ago

Holy smokes! How can it be that it wasn't shorted out long ago?

Posted by J. A. Michail, Real Property Management of Sarasota & M (Real Property Management of Sarasota & Manatee) almost 7 years ago

Good Morning Steven, To tell you the truth, nothing shock me any more. But this one came close,

Posted by Arleen Montford, Selling NW Florida Homes in Pace/Milton/Pensacola FL (KELLER WILLIAMS REALTY GULF COAST ) almost 7 years ago

Steve- I can't believe anyone would have ever installed anything like that. Surly that has never been up to code!?!?!

Posted by Tommy Taylor, CNE- Texas Hill Country Realtor (Taylor Properties & TexasForSale.net) almost 7 years ago

Tommy:  All the old pools used to have these.  Over time, we find better ways of doing things!

 

Arleen:  I love this business!  You never know what's around the corner.

 

SaraMana:  This was a vacant bank-owned home.  The pool light was obviously inoperative.

 

Bruce:  Yes, they were very grateful.  It's what wakes me up in the morning!

 

Lynn:  I would say electrical issues are the #1 defect I come across doing home inspections.  And definitely the most dangerous!

 

Jon:  Water is a tough critter to hold back!  Like trying to catch the wind!

 

 

Posted by Steve Stenros, CREIA MCI, ICC, ACI Home Inspector,San Diego (Poway,La Jolla,Del Mar,Mira Mesa,Carlsbad,Escondido,Temecula) almost 7 years ago

Hi Steve, most electrical problems should be refereed to a professional.

Posted by Dan Edward Phillips, Realtor and Broker/Owner (Dan Edward Phillips) almost 7 years ago

Steve, I would think that's not a good idea.  Thanks for posting and getting the word out if anyone has such a contraption to get it fixed.

Posted by Pamela Seley, Residential Real Estate Agent serving SW RivCo CA (West Coast Realty Division) almost 7 years ago

This is why we have home inspectors.  I wonder how the building inspector passed this at the time of construction. 

Posted by Doug Bullwinkel, NMLS #281609 (Academy Mortgage Group) almost 7 years ago

Wow, I had no idea anything like that even existed. This seems like a design destined for failure. I'll pay attention next time I'm showing or listing a pool home. :)

Posted by Jim Courtney, CRS, GRI, AHWD (OklaHomes Realty, Claremore Oklahoma) almost 7 years ago

Steve: That doesn't seem like a very good idea to locate that box in wuch a wet location.

Posted by Matt Grohe, RE/MAX Des Moines (RE/MAX Real Estate Concepts) almost 7 years ago

Great catch,  they should lockoff the breaker that feeds that until it is corrected.

Posted by Steve Hall, Make the Call to Hankins and Hall (RE/MAX United) almost 7 years ago

This picture and post is shocking to say the least!  Can't imagine anyone actually having this!!  Thanks for the post. 

Posted by Sherri Wellborn, Murfreesboro TN Homes & Real Estate (Reliant Realty, Murfreesboro) over 6 years ago

Thanks for your comment, Sherri! The new owners (my client) will want to have this corrected prior to use of the pool if they value their life!

Posted by Steve Stenros, CREIA MCI, ICC, ACI Home Inspector,San Diego (Poway,La Jolla,Del Mar,Mira Mesa,Carlsbad,Escondido,Temecula) over 6 years ago

Participate